Monday, October 17, 2022

 

She was our dog for a minute. Her name was Mona. Sierra slept with her every night. My friend Stacey signed her over to Sierra on Sierra's birthday. She got all the things she need to care for her on her birthday. We went to Utah to help care for baby Navy and to attend my Grandma Hair's funeral. It was fall break. Stacey was headed to Yellowstone so she boarded her at a boarding place called Pet Particulars. When we got home on a Saturday Sierra wanted her dog back. She freaked out at me and begged me to go get her. I didn't know where the boarding place was or the name of it. She wanted to just drive around Fruita and find her. I was sick and I didn't know where to start. I tried calling Stacey multiple times but she didn't have service. 

Then we got a call Monday morning from Aaron, Stacey's husband. The boarding place burnt down. Mona inhaled a lot of smoke. They said she was at the Vet ER. We could go and see her. She was still alive. I was afraid at what we would see. I thought she would be covered in burns. She wasn't. I was relieved, but Sierra wasn't. She cried and told me Mona looked worse than she thought. We visited her a few more times but ultimately they had to put her down a week later. Sierra's heart was broken. It still is. 

Things I want to remember about Mona; she was such an obedient dog, she loved Sierra fiercely, she loved raw eggs. I would give her one when no one was looking. Everyone thought I hated her, she was scared of me, but I kinda miss her too. 




No comments: