Thursday, August 18, 2016

LESLIE's STORY

 I have been so blessed to be apart of Leslie's journey. We meet at Loma Elementary. I was dropping off Madison at Kindergarten and Leslie was dropping off Kaylie. Kaylie was so nervous. Madison was so confident. She took Kaylie by the hand and walked her into Kindergarten. Her sweet act of kindness sealed Leslie and I's friendship. 

Leslie picked up Madison and took her to school every day for two months while I recovered from having Ashton. I baked her bread.

Once I stopped by her house on my way into town and I saw a bible on her table and I picked it up. She said, "You know Lisa, I want to know truth but I don't know where to find it."

I was really nervous about taking the missionaries over there the first time. I kind of scheduled it without telling Leslie. I called her before we headed over and I told her I was bringing the sisters with me.

I know I caught her off guard but she was okay. Four months have passed since that first visit and at times I have wondered whether she would ever be strong enough to commit to any of what we were asking her to do. It was a lot and Mormon is a huge word. There was a moment when she just knew all the sisters were teaching her was true. I have been in awe at the absolute pure faith she has shown since the moment when she knew. She always says, "You had me at the planets." The sisters had planned to give her the lesson on the plan of salvation. She had been at a conference in Denver the weekend before and had heard something that weren't true. They had been on her mind and when she asked the question the sisters were prepared to answer. It was a direct message from her Heavenly Father that he cared about her and this small concern. She wept through the whole discussion.

She is scheduled to be baptized on the 3rd of September.

I was listening to NPR on the way to Utah to a show called this American Life. There was a story told about a life guard that was 66. He wanted to keep life guarding. He was a New York lawyer. He life guarded on the weekend. His name was Roy and he life guarded on Jones Beach. The interviewer asked him, "Why do you want to continue to life guard?" He said, "There is a thrill in the rescue that you can't feel any other way." I loved what he said because being apart of Leslie's journey has brought me so much joy. I didn't think it was possible for the human body to feel this much joy. 


No comments: