Monday, March 29, 2010

SCRIPTURE POWER

Sierra loves to read her scriptures. We bribed her to remind us to read our scriptures every night before bed for a month. She did and now it has become a habit. (Hopefully, it will stay that way.) We have read admid out bursts, running around, and teasing cries and despite the fact that I don't believe Sierra has ever heard a single word. I have tried to continue despite it, because I know as Elder Bednard says, there is a blessing in consistency.

Today, I went visiting teaching. The girl we visit taught said her mother use to draw pictures of the story on the pages of her scriptures and let her color them while they read. I think at first I said in disbelief, "On the pages of the scriptures?" She said, yes and she bore a beautiful testimony of how that single set of scriptures had blessed her life for many years. She brought out the set of scriptures she had as a child. In them were crude stick drawings to remind her of the stories. She had colored them in colored pencils and leaving the words still very visable. She said, this was the way her mother kept her children looking at the scriptures while she read. I thought it was genius.

I went home and immediately read the page of scripture we were suppose to read tonight and drew my own crude drawings. We read while Sierra colored. She finished early so I suggested she write Abinadi's name on the top of the page. She loved it. She paid attention and even repeated back the story to her father when we were done. It was amazing.

I like to read the actual scriptures as a family, although Sierra loves to read her Book of Mormon readers on her own, because I think it is important to teach my children the language of the scriptures while they are young. Yet, it is hard to read the actual scripture and keep a captive audience. I was so excited when this worked that I had to share. Hugs.

2 comments:

Caroline Craven said...

What a great idea and what a treasure. I wish I had thought of something like that, although we did pretty good. I love Sierra's penmanship - just love it.

Heather {Healthy Family Cookin} said...

Cute idea! We like to use the gospel art picture kit. We let the boys take turns picking a picture and then we read the scriptures that are listed at the front of the book for that picture. It has worked really good. We also let C.G. read the scriptures himself out of a large-print edition of the scriptures. He loves that. And another thing is we have cheap copies of the scriptures for the boys that we let them mark up however they like. It really helps keep their attention! It's all about finding new ideas though because they never last long so I really appreciate this one!