Tuesday, July 4, 2017

CANCUN, MEXICO

 Nate got a week off of work this summer. He wanted to take a really fun vacation. I really wanted us to go to Alaska and go fishing. We have a friend with a lodge there. Nate has talked about going to Alaska most of his life and I thought it would so great. He decided he wanted to go to Cancun, Mexico. He wanted to fly fish off of a flat bottom boat on the ocean. He really wanted to catch a permit fish. He booked a six day fly fishing trip.

The first day we got there we stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Cancun and saw sea turtles lay their eggs on the beach and the next day we went to Chichen Itza. It was absolutely fascinating. There were so many interesting things. The building above is a calendar. The sun sits on the horizon lining up with one of the rises according to the month of the year. The acoustics on the building were so amazing. You could clap at the bottom and it would run up the stairs and echo out the top. The people that lived at this time were geniuses. 

On the way to the lodge were we were going to spend six days fishing on a flat bottom boat, I got food poisoning. We stopped off and had some street tacos, BIG MISTAKE. They were really yummy but not worth the month of pain that followed. I was in my first trimester of pregnancy. I was nauseous already but having diarrhea on top of that was no bueno. It hit me hard the second day. I thinking being out on a flat bottom boat in the middle of the ocean, dressed like a Muslim, dehydrated my body and compounded the problem. The second day, I went out on the boat but spent most of the day pooping in the lagoon. It was so bad. 

The next two days I spent curled in a ball on my bed in the lodge. There was no wi-fi and no cable, only a few Spanish channels. I read five books and when I got too bored I took a nap or sat out on the patio of the lodge and watched the ocean. I know that sounds idealistic, if you are an overworked mother, and before the trip I would have thought so too but I thought I was going to go insane. I just wanted to be sick in my own space, eat my own food and drink clean water from the tap. Clean water is the greatest gift in the world. I didn't even mind changing diapers or cleaning the kitchen I just wanted to go home. I felt bad, I wanted Nate to have a good time and I tried not to complain but Nate knew I was miserable.

I was so happy to finally be heading home the last day. Then we found out our flight was cancelled and they had booked us out on a flight the next day. I told them no I was going to go home. The re-routed us onto another airline. We barely made our plane twice and one point we ran through the Houston airport, not knowing whether we were going to make it to a Delta flight or get stuck in the Houston airport. We butted people in two security lines, and stank so bad from running and sweating I am sure no one wanted to seat near us, but we finally made it back to Salt Lake. Nate didn't talk to me for two days after our trip. I really embarrassed him. I don't think I am going to go on vacation with Nate again outside of the United States. I don't like international travel and the more I travel the more I realize how blessed I am to live in the USA. I don't need to leave. He will have to find a new international fishing buddy. :) 






No comments: