Saturday, April 4, 2009

URBAN GARDENING

Who wants to garden this year? Well, every year I have made sparse attempts. We have moved every year, so although we have planted we have never harvested, which was sad. Last summer I heard rumor that you could rent a garden plot up in Stanton Heights. I looked around and researched it, but I always hit dead ends. I should have been a little more aggresive.

This year I have found the rumor is true. You can rent a plot for $15.00 a year. This includes all the water you will need. They also have a few tool you can use. The man in charge of plots is Jim Tunney. His home phone number is 412-441-3958. He says as of now they have plenty of plots available. The plots won't be available until May. May 2 at 10:00am they are having a meeting at the cemetery office on Butler. I will be there.

If you are interested in gardening this year then come and garden with me. For those of you who don't know, tomatos grow like weeds in Pittsburgh. The soil is great. Ashley Clark grew some beautiful cilantro last year. You could easily grow a salsa garden. I bet you could grow really yummy strawberries. I know a lady up in Butler who could teach us how to can what we grow. Also, for those of you who don't live in the area, you can garden on any abandoned lot as long as it is owned by the city and you get a garden waiver from the city. All the information I have obtained is on this website, growpittsburgh.org. Let's all get out and grow something.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Hey Lisa, I've already started my garden this year. Unfortunately Jev complains about it sitting on the kitchen table. I'm trying to grow tomotoes, peppers, strawberries (which the deer and birds love - I better put up a fence and netting this year so I can actually eat some), peas, beans, and red onions. I am still new and learning at this garden thing so if you have any advice on how to grow something better, please let me know.

Michelle said...

What are you going to do when the homeless people start eating your vegetables? ha ha. I think it's a great idea. I love gardening!