Saturday, May 14, 2016

GIRLS ON THE RUN

She wanted to do girls on the run this year. It was easy for me because her friend, Natalie, who is also our neighbor did girls on the run too, so her mother brought her home every day. Thank you Jenn. She loved it. She was the fast girl in the school. She was so excited for the 5K that they run at the end of the year. She was determined that she was going to win. She might have won or at least ranked in the top ten, if it weren't for some boys and a snail. 

I ran with her friend Natalie. She was determined she was not going to run with me because I would have held her back. I haven't ran since forever. I was fine with that. 

I kept telling her to pace herself. She said she would, but when the whistle blew there was a group of boys in the front and they took off like it was the 50 yard dash. She was determined no one was getting ahead of her so she tried to keep in front of them or at least pace them. (Why are their boys running in a girl's on the run program? No one is excluded. It's the world we live in people.) They of course pooped out. She did too. It was too fast. It wasn't sustainable. She didn't know they weren't going to sustain that pace, so she tried to keep up. It wasn't possible. She forgot to pace herself. 

When she knew she wasn't going to win, she lost focus. She saw a snail inching it's way across the running path. She knew someone was going to end it's life. She decided to rescue it. She carried it all the way to the finish line. (Not sure why she didn't toss it into a bush, you will have to ask her.)

She barely crossed the finish line in front of I and Natalie. She is a way better runner than me, so that shouldn't have been the case. We went to subway afterward and I told her there was some valuable lessons she could learn from this little race that may have been more important than winning. First, pace yourself, don't try to keep up with someone else, especially if they aren't someone you should be following in the first place. Second, don't get distracted.

She agreed. She said she learned from the event and as a mother that is all you want from your daughter.

She was stronger after her race. I love her dearly. She is growing into a beautiful young lady.

(P.S. Dear Family, 
I know I can afford to buy my baby running clothes. 
I did. 
I took her shopping. 
I bought her several running outfits.
Not one is in any of these pictures.
She preferred to run in cut offs or jeans. 
I love her.
Whatever makes her happy!
Me.) 





No comments: