Friday, July 29, 2016

SUMMER 2016 = 4H


 Sierra signed up for 4H in January. I thought it was the coolest thing. She got to go once a week to this sweet older woman's home and learn about horse. She has been able to watch her break a colt and assist. She has learned to bath and care for a horse. She has learned how to approach a horse. She hasn't bee allowed to ride though. She can't until she has had ridding lessons and that won't happen until she is in 4H a year. She has been really dedicated and it has been so fun for her. 

This sweet older woman, her instructor, has been asking me at least monthly has she been reading her horse book. I would confess she has only glanced at it. She would reiterate that she needed to be reading it. It was a two hundred page manual of technical jargon on horses. Sierra hates to read, so I thought we are just having fun, does she really need to read that manual? Apparently, yes. 4H kids have an exam on the manual. When her instructor told me she is scheduled to take her exam in a week, I panicked. We were just having fun. Really? We spent the entire week cramming and reading. It was painful for both of us. Then she took her exam. I don't know how she did. She said that she failed it. 

The minute she was done with that her instructor said, "Did she do her workbook? It is due at fair in a few weeks." Workbook? It was a forty page workbook with several questions about horses on every page. I didn't know they were serious about that either. We worked really hard on that for a week and got it done. Then there was her poster for fair. I was ready to quit 4H but she stuck with it. I was proud of her.  




No comments: