Sunday, May 17, 2009

CATHEDRAL OF HOPE


Since the first time we drove to the East Liberty Library Sierra has begged to go into the castle and see the beautiful princesses. I have tried to convince her that it isn't a castle it is a church but she doesn't believe me. How could the architecture resemble a castle so closely and it not be a castle.

Well, I was so proud of myself because after three years I finally walked over to the castle and asked if we could have a tour. I guess they don't offer tours but you are welcome to sign in and walk around, if you would like. The man at the front desk was so kind. He didn't laugh at Sierra when she said, "Where do the princesses live?" I tried to explain again that it wasn't a castle it was a church. Then she started singing 'I love to see the temple.' We really just went into the inner sanctuary and looked around and took pictures. The man at the front desk said to take as many as we would like but the only time the lights are turn on is Sunday because it is really expensive to run the electricity in the building. I am sure due to the fact that it was erected in 1932 and the electricity hasn't been updated since. Wish I could have taken better pictures but with no light, on an overcast day, with my camera, this was the best I could do.

Sierra checking the doors to find away into the castle. You have to enter from Highland Park Ave.

Stain Glass windows in the sanctuary.

The best picture I was able to take.

A cross floating by the front podium.

The front of the room.

Sierra dazing outside the Cathedral of Hope. She really loved it and wanted to explore the entire building. I shouldn't have brought a stroller because it would have been more easy to navigate. I really thought it was a beautiful church. I wonder what the acoustics sound like? Wish I could join the choir just to sing in the room one time. Here is their web address www.cathedralofhope.org. There is a cafe. You can have lunch on the lawn, listen to an outdoor band, and explore the building in the summer. I would say it is definitely a must do in Pittsburgh. I don't know why it took me so long to get the courage to ask.

No comments: