Friday, September 23, 2011

NEED MORE SPACE CHEAP, USE THE UNFINISHED BASEMENT

My sister called and said she needed more space. She has five kids and they live in a three bedroom home. She has one living room. I casually suggested that she use a room in her basement and make it into a living/bedroom space. We brainstormed about it and she asked how much do you think it would cost. I said, "$500.00." She said she would think about it. Then she called the next day and said, "I have had a vision.. I think it will work, will you come and help." Of course I said yes, because I love projects. When I showed up the room looked like this. We chiseled all the chunks of cement off the wall. Then we used filler to fill in any large holes.
We then painted the floors and walls. We did the walls an almond white and the floors a chocolate brown. To paint cement floors you have to apply acid to etch the floors, apply a bonding product and then paint. Even with all the steps if we dragged furniture across the floor the paint came up, so if I did it again I would apply something over the paint, like a lacquer. However, this floor was covered mostly with carpet padding and a large carpet remnant, so a few dings weren't noticable.
We hung upholstry fabric on the two walls that were made of 2 by 4's. We got the fabric at the thrift store. It was a killer deal. We covered both walls for $35.00. We just cut the lengths of the wall, sewed them together and stapled the fabric to the 2 by 4's. We pulled it tight and it looked like wallpaper when we were done.
I wish I had a picture of the full room, but here is the same corner pictured above. This is my sweet Tessie. We made her headboard using this tutorial. We made the curtains from $1.50 a yard fabric we found at Walmart. It was the perfect color and feel. We also picked up some yards of fabric for the pillows on Tessie's bed. We found an old lace table cloth at the thrift store and made the bed skirt. Anyway, it was beautiful when it was done. I was afraid it would look hodge-podge and homemade, but it really did look shabby-chic when we were done. I loved our fabric walls so much I thought to myself, you know I maybe falling in love with wallpaper again.

P.S. The quilt on the end of Tessie's bed is the one I made for Tessie when she was born. It is my own made up applique pattern, another thing I love to do.

Before I close, I have to say all things are possible with your Heavenly-Father's help, because we prayed every step of the way and we had small miracles happen at every turn. It is the only way you can create a room in six days, with seven children, and a very tight budget. We were truly blessed.

1 comment:

cgreen said...

Thank the Lord for all your blessings through your project. God is so good! Amen.