Sunday, July 14, 2013

RANCH 2014

My family's reunion was the following weekend. I and my kids climbed in my parent's car and got a ride to my brother-in-laws family ranch. It was dark by the time we arrived, my sweet sister had already set up our tent. My father filled our air mattress.  I and my three children climbed into our family size sleeping bag and feel asleep. James was restless, he was missing his crib. At 2:00am he finally fell asleep in my arms. I laid there just soaking in the fresh air and looking into the night with all my babies cuddled up close to me thinking it was quite possibly one of the most beautiful moments I had experienced with my sweet babies.

Then Sierra got up on her hands and knees. I looked over at her and she said, "I think I am going to throw up." I got out of the sleeping bag. James started screaming. I frantically searched for the zipper to the tent. I couldn't find it in the dark. Then I heard her vomiting once and then twice. Madison started crying. I finally found the zipper but it was too late. Sierra stepped out of the tent. I assessed the damage and knew there was no way we were going to back to sleep in that sleeping bag. I told Sierra to head for the ranch house where Grandma and Grandpa were sleeping. I grabbed James and Madison was running behind me. She tripped over Uncle Derrick's tent stakes and started to cry. I just said, "Get up! Come on!" She just laid in the grass and screamed. I scooped her up in my empty arm and walked to the ranch house with both Madison and James screaming. When I got inside I realized James diaper was full and immediately started to change it. He peed all over me and him. (I am not sure why the diaper had to be changed that very minute other than I was completely out of my mind by that point.) I just threw my hands in the air and went into my parents room and asked my mom to come and help. She got Sierra bathed and settled, while I got James and Madison settled. We ended up on the floor and endured until the morning.

Sierra ended up being sick most of the trip. Madison woke up with throw up in her hair. I didn't fully realize what bad shape she was in. (Again, I was out of my mind.) I gave her a bath first thing in the morning. She played with her cousins all week and I think between James's unending fussiness and Sierra's sickness had the most fun.

On the last day Sierra was feeling well and while I was sleeping she snuck off with her Aunts and swam in the pond. She rode the horse she was dying to ride, and rode on a four-wheeler with her cousin Emma driving. She packed a lot into that last day.

Madison's favorite part I am sure was being on the tire swing with her cousin Kate and Tessie. She had fun on the slip-and-slide and riding Sunny, the horse.

James just wanted his mom but was content on the Rhino riding around the ranch.

Uncle Derrick summed the experience up well when he asked me, "So, same time next week." I sighed and said, "No." I think it will take time to get me to camp alone again with all three kids.

Although, I love my family dearly and it was fun being with them.























No comments: