Friday, November 8, 2013

LUCKY TO BE ALIVE!

 
 



Nate bought me a beautiful car about three months ago. He was tired of the 91' Camry, he bought me upon graduating from dental school, continually breaking down. He bought me a 2004 Lexus, which was a major upgrade. It had over a 100,000 miles on it, but it was beautiful. (I think it is ghetto to brag on social media about cars and houses and toys, especially when it is just more debt, and so I never took a picture and posted about how much I loved it. I wish I had of just because it would make you sad to see it so gnarled.)
 
I don't mean to make this about my car. I am so glad my husband is alive and safe and that he isn't injured in some hospital somewhere or even worse, no longer with us. I am grateful to my Heavenly Father for sparing his life.
 
However, I have to say this car meant a lot to me. Especially because Nate bought it and handed me the keys and said, "Lisa, I bought you a car." Then he never referred to it as "his car" or even "our car" it was always "your car". He would say, "Can I borrow your car today?" or "I am headed to Denver this weekend, can I use your car." Then he continued to drive our pre-dental school car with over 200,000 miles and no heat or air conditioning. I guess the sacrifices he made, made this car special to me.
 
Story: Nate was headed to a class in Denver this morning. He left early, like at 4:00am. I got a call around 5:00am. The phone was rang. I saw it was Nate and I picked it up and said hello. There was no response, so I hung up. The phone rang again. I was a little annoyed. I said, "Hello." Nothing. "Hello." (I thought he was butt dialing and it wasn't funny. I hadn't gotten to bed until 1:00am and I had already been woken up three times.)
 
Finally, I hear Nate on the other end and he launches into a monologue, "Hey, honey I just tagged a Elk. It is huge. You should see the rack on this thing. Do you know of anyone who could help me skin it and butcher it? Could you call someone? Like Chuck, do you think he could help me?" My mind was racing and I was trying to figure out what was going on. "You want me to call Chuck at 5:00am and ask if he can help you butcher an Elk?"(I was trying to figure out why he was hunting Elk on the way to a class in Denver.)
"Yeah, you think he would? And do you think he could bring his truck out here to pick me up?"
"Why?"
"Because your car is totaled." "
"What? Are you okay?"
"Yeah, I am fine."
"Are you sure?"
"Yes, and you wanted me to buy a minivan. I can't imagine what kind of shape I would be in if I had of clocked that Elk doing 75 mph in a minivan. I am sold. The Lexus handled the impact of that Elk like a champ."
 
He said he didn't even have time to hit the brake. He said the Elk towered the SUV.
 
To answer your question, no we didn't keep the Elk. In the state of Colorado you can keep your road kill but Chuck said it was beyond saving. (Thank goodness!)
 
To answer your other question, yes Chuck and Kay went out at 5:00am to save Nate on the side of the road and to help him transport his Elk, even though it wasn't salvageable. (Thank goodness.)Thank you Chuck and Kay.
 
I am grateful for good friends. I am grateful for a merciful Father-in-Heaven. I am grateful for a husband who was so excited he got to keep the Elk he didn't even think about the car. I am grateful for car insurance. I am grateful I and the kids weren't with him, because the night before I was trying to convince him to take us on his mini road trip. I am grateful it was just the car hurt. I am grateful for a kind insurance adjuster. I am grateful to be less in debt today than I was this morning, paid off car. Check! I am grateful Nate walked away without a scratch. Life is good and we are grateful for it and these moments help remind us of that fact. 

No comments: