Thursday, January 15, 2015

ASHTON MAXWELL MCKNIGHT

 
I woke up on the morning of the 13th at around 1:15. I felt a little pop. I can't really describe it nor can I explain why, I just know it woke me up.
Then I had a contraction shortly after.
I hadn't had a contraction all night and had slept well.
I thought I would draw a bath and sit in the bath until I felt my next few contractions and just see whether this was real labor.
While I was running the water I had a strong impression, I felt the spirit say, "Go to the hospital."
I had another contraction that was a little painful.
I went and told woke up Nate. I said, "I am going to go to the hospital."
I don't know if I am in labor. I have had a few contractions. I will call my friend Lily to come over and be with the kids and I will call you when they admit me to the hospital.
He said, "Okay."
I gathered my things and left.
Luckily, it was warm outside. It was like a spring day in the middle of winter.
On the way to the hospital my contraction started to pick up and they were about five minutes apart.
I was scared.
My only thought was hurry and get to the hospital, so you don't have to have that baby naturally.
 
I thought, I'll wait till they give me my epidural to call Nate.
When I got to the hospital I parked on the wrong side.
The hospital was locked up.
I kept thinking I would find an open door but I saw no one.
I finally found my way to the emergency entrance about a half a block away.
I was relieved.
My contractions were really picking up.
The guy at the front desk said he would take me up to labor and delivery by wheel chair.
 
I had made it.
I was being admitted.
I called Lily at 2:25 and told her I had been admitted and to send Nate to the hospital.
They took me into a room to check me.
I was dilated to an eight.
They had me walk to the delivery room a few doors away.
I stood at the bed as they monitored the baby.
My water broke.
I was so mad!
 
I ripped the monitor off. My contractions were coming hard and fast and it felt restricting.
I said, "I am not going to get that epidural!"
The nurse said, "No, honey."
I said, "Then please draw me a bath."
I heard the water running.
Then the midwife walked the door and said, "Why is the water running? She isn't going to have time for that?"
Ahhhhhhh!
The nurse said, "Background noise, we thought it would help calm her."
What?
No! If I wasn't going to have an epidural I was going to at least have a relaxing water birth!
Neither?
Great!
At that point my contractions were on top of each other. I just started screaming.
Screaming like a crazy Amazon woman.
I was so mad this was happening again.
This wasn't suppose to happen again.
I was alone.
Nate wasn't even going to make it.
I just screamed.
The midwife on call said, "Lisa, calm down, screaming is not going to help."
I didn't care.
I hate natural child birth.
I screamed.
My midwife Tiffany showed up.
She didn't tell me to stop screaming but she told me to focus my energy on pushing.
A few pushes later and he was out.
I had him at 2:59.
I never want to do that again.
Natural childbirth.
I will take a million more Ashton's if I can.
 
Nate walked in after it was all over.
I was cleaned up in a dim room holding Ashton.
Waiting to be wheeled down to recovery.
 
I handed him his baby boy.
He held him for an hour.
He just stared at him.
 
I said, "I guess the only thing we have left to do is give him a name."
He suggested Ashton, after Ashton, Idaho. You will have to ask him why.
I am sure it has something to do with fishing.
I said, "I like Ashton."
I had been calling him Maxwell or Baby Max for a long time.
I thought it was going to be his name.
We usually do a living relative as his middle name but this time I decided since Maxwell was trumped, we would give it to him as his middle name.
 
He weighed 8 pounds 3 ounces.
His height 20 1/2 inches long.






 There is nothing more precious, no moment more perfect than holding your newborn in the hospital after birth.
He was so precious and perfect.
I have never given birth to a child with so much hair.
I think he has more hair than James has right now.
He looks so different from my other kids but there are similarities.
Like he has Sierra's chin.
He has a tiny nose like Madison, but it is scrunched up a unique Ashton way.
He pulls James faces all the time.
His skin is as so soft. I just want to cuddle him forever.
He is beautiful, every inch of him is loved.
I would do it all again.
Yes, even natural child birth, for him.
 


No comments: