Thursday, July 19, 2012

GRANDPA CRAVEN's PASSING PART II

 The kids got along so well this trip.
We hardly even noticed them. It was a huge a blessing.
They collected rain water together and then started extracting it from the gutters.
They were so happy and so proud.

This day was shortly after grandpa passed. I got to say goodbye. I was glad.
I went over to my Grandma's house and got to sit with her and talk to her.
She said, "I am going to be one lonely old lady." It broke my heart in two.
I wished I lived closer so we could visit more, but I know my sisters and my parents will take good care of her.
I was holding her hand and talking to my Uncle Curtis, who I haven't seen since we were in dental school. My Aunt Diana came over and said, "Mom, you look tired would you like to go and get ready for bed." She got emotional and said, "No, the nights are so long."
I thought of how much grandma and grandpa loved eachother and how hard it would be to sleep next to the same person every night for 60 plus years and then have to go to bed alone.
It broke my heart. Mostly, because I know of the deep affection they had for eachother.
They had a true love and deep friendship few couples obtain in this life.
Grandma said, "I wish I had of cared for him more."
I weep with shame when I think of her words. She doted on him and treated him so well.
She became a housewife in the 1950's and she never lost the class and grace from that era.
She ironed his shirts, cleaned his home, and served his meals and loved every minute of it.







No comments: