Friday, July 20, 2012

GRANPA CRAVEN's PASSING PART III

 My grandfather's viewing.
I never got close to his body.
He was gone and I knew it and it made me uncomfortable to see his stiff body laying there.
I haven't cried much. I guess it is impart because I was so blessed to have spent so much time with him, so I have no personal regrets. I know he was as close to perfect as a man could be, so he was very prepared to meet his Father-in-Heaven.
He struggled physically over the last year, after suffering a stroke, and he is now free from pain.

There was a lot of rejoicing because we all loved him and we are so proud of his life well lived.
I did start to cry when I saw my little girl crying uncontrollably after the viewing.
I know how empathetic my little girl can be and I figured she was crying because everyone else was.
She told me this on the drive back to Colorado, "Mom, do you know why I was crying at the funeral?" I said, "No." She said, "Because I was thinking about what a neat guy everyone was saying grandpa was and how they were talking about the good times they spent with him. I was thinking how I am going to miss all that. I will never know him like the other people there."
It really stung my heart when she said those words.
I didn't have much to say then but if I could go back I would tell her, "Grandpa still lives because your grandpa is still alive. He is a lot like his father. He is funny and clever and so kind. You will know him because you know his son."
Me and my sister's were asked to sing one of grandpa's favorite songs for the funeral.
Beautiful Savior.
I don't know if we have all sung together in a really long time.
I felt so blessed and honored to sing with them on such a solemn, beautiful occasion.
Grandpa wanted his funeral to last one hour, he said no one was to go over.
I am glad and wonder if maybe impart he made that request because he knew his great-grandchildren would get really fidgety after an hour. My kids were really good during the entire funeral.
In true grandpa style he requested that the speakers at the funeral testify of Christ instead of talking about him.
However, it was really easy to combine the two because grandpa's life truly spoke of Christ.
He loved his Savior and Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

           

No comments: