Thursday, October 17, 2013

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DADDY

Nate is off fishing with his best friend from childhood all weekend. He was super excited. They might as well be 10 years old again. They were like two kids on Christmas morning. They got up before the sun and headed off on their weekend long adventure. I am happy for Nate. I am sure he will have the best birthday ever. He hasn't had much time off since he opened the doors of his new practice. This weekend break is much needed and am grateful that Chris could make the long drive out from California to play with him.

So tonight I get to have the house to myself. I took the kids to the park and they played. Then we came home and made homemade pizza, their favorite. Then after a monumental explosion by the above child... they are all sound asleep. As I went into to check on them before I went to bed, I couldn't help but think about how beautiful they were. How lucky I am to be their mother and Nate's wife.

Nate and I met exactly ten years ago this time of year. It was a few days before his birthday that I decided I wanted to marry him. I had seen him at church and at a few church activities and he had taken me on one date and I knew from the moments we had spent together that he was good, pure, and virtuous. We live in a rough world and finding those things in a young man isn't easy. I was spending time with a different young man who was handsome, gregarious, connected, and funny but wasn't pure. We were standing together overlooking the valley and he made and off-colored joke. In my mind I said to myself, I don't want to be with men like this anymore, I want to be with Nathan. I called him and said, "Your birthday is in a few days, why don't we go hiking up to Stewart Falls and have a picnic." He said he would like that.. I wish I could remember what we talked about as we hiked. I do remember I loved spending that time with him and I wanted to spend more time with him. Here we are ten years later, I still love spending time with him. I miss him when he isn't around. I think he is brilliant and funny. He is everything I wanted in a husband and the Father of my children. I feel so blessed to be his wife.

He has been working tirelessly to give me a perfect smile. I have spent hours in his dental chair. He has removed ever ounce of amalgam from my mouth and made me promise never to allow anyone to put any amalgam in my mouth ever again. He has replaced all my fillings with in-lays and on-lays. You can't even tell he has done anything to the teeth on an x-ray, the in-lays and on-lays fit so perfectly. I tease and say, "It is the diamond he promised to buy me when we graduate from the dental school. He just decided to put in my mouth." I am certain he has spent a small fortune, but he wants my mouth to be perfect. He is a perfectionist. I am blessed to be his wife and his patient.

The other day I walked in for another appointment and he was in his office sitting in his chair leaning forward with his jaw bone resting on his knuckles, gazing distraughtly forward. He has felt a lot of pressure from work and other places lately. I went over to him and gave him a big hug. I am glad I am the person who gets to give him a hug when he is having a really hard day. He is my favorite person. I love him. I am grateful for the last ten years and I am ready for another ten.


 

No comments: