Thursday, August 20, 2009

NO PICTURES, JUST NIGHTMARES AND FAIRIES

I know Joy, you are skipping this one. :)

Sierra has really bad nightmares. She wakes up constantly. She won't go to sleep at night. When she tells me her dreams, I even get scared. I don't know where she gets these horrifyingly sad images from. Anyway, for weeks now it has been, there are wolves in my room. They are going to climb up the windows and come into my room. They are going to just appear in my closet. Then the monsters. There are always monsters lurking everywhere. We bought nightlights,bribed, and my sister made her a beautiful room, but she still refuses to sleep there.

A few nights ago I was at my wits end trying to get her to stay in her bed. I was sitting there kneeling at her side telling her there is no such things as monsters. I have argued this point countless times. I finally looked her in the eyes and said, "Sierra, I love you so much and your Heavenly Father loves so much. Before we came to dental school your father was given a blessing that said your great-grandma Oma Wilson would come with us to Pittsburgh and watch over us. I know that many nights she sits in this room and watches over you." Sierra asked, "Who is she?" I said, "She is your great-grandma. She died and now she is our guardian angel for a time." Sierra asked, "What is an angel?" I showed her a picture of an angel. She said, "Angels are like fairies, huh mom?" I said, "Kind of, they are kind of like fairies." (What a beautiful moment. I felt at peace and warm as I told her of all the people that loved her and watched over her. I wish I could end this post on this peaceful note. I can't.)

Conclusion: She became so excited at the prospect of fairies in her room that she couldn't sleep. Still no sleep. Then she yelled back at me and said, "Mom, I have an idea." I said, "What now?" She said, "I will die myself so I can be a fairy." I alarmingly replied, "Not a good idea." She asked, "Why?" I told her I would miss her too much. Then this morning I was cleaning the mirrors and she wanted to suck on the ammonia filled glass cleaner. I told her she couldn't because eating it would kill her. She sprayed some on the counter and licked it. What? Yes, she wants to be a fairy. Ahhhh. How do I get myself into these situations?

Moral of this story: Oh parents, be wise (wiser than me.), what can I say more?

5 comments:

Paul and Em said...

That's just a little uncomforting to know that my niece is trying to run around and kill herself so that she can be a fairy!! Let's remedy this situation, I think I have an idea!

DJ said...

Sounds like she needs to come to Utah. :) Maybe that special mother of ours can help her sleep.

Oh, Sierra...I hate nightmares.

Ashley said...

"Only Heavenly Father gets to decide when we die and get to be guardian angels (fairies). If we try to make ourselves die then Heavenly Father will send us to spirit prison and we don't get to be guardian angels." - This is what my mom told me to say. I'm not sure if you want to relay this to Sierra since I know how she can be.

Lisa said...

I will have to try it. I can just see her running out in the road because I have told hre so many times, "If you go into the road YOU WILL DIE!" It use to keep her out of the road, now not so sure.

Jess said...

Sierra, Sierra....You better watch that girl!