Sunday, September 26, 2010

CAMPING in ASPEN, CO

We headed out Friday afternoon to go camping in Aspen, Co. When we arrived the campground Nate had chosen was called Difficult Campground. I chuckled considering it was the first time we have tried to camp since MJ has been potty trained. Also, I knew it was going to be really cold. Nate set up camp and got us a fire going. We grilled hamburgers and then it was time to get the girls ready for bed. There are always trade offs at this point in the evening, especially camping. Do I go the bathroom and listen to the girls scream for me? Or do I wait and wake up uncomfortable early in the morning too afraid to move for fear the girls will wake. Do I spit my toothpaste close to the tent? There are bear warnings everywhere in the woods and I remember back when I was in girl's camp this was a huge no, no. Or do I walk away from the tent and listen to the girls scream after me? I can't forget a drink of water before I get comfortable or the girls will wake and want one. Then I will be trudging out of the tent to find one, in the an unseemly hour, in the bitter cold and may come face to face with a bear. Then there is the potty. Oh, the potty. It is hard to convince little girls to go potty when it is late and they are tired and it is cold. However, despite all these things it wasn't too difficult.

In the morning I was cooking bacon and eggs for breakfast. The propane tank was frosting over. Sierra decided she wanted a lick. Yep, classic. Her tongue was stuck to the propane tank. She didn't wait for help she ripped her tongue away and left a spot of blood on the tank. She didn't cry or even fuss.

Nate took her fishing later on in the morning and she caught a small fish. She was so excited. Overall, we had a good time. Nate keeps pushing us to be more of an outdoor family. He makes a lot of sacrifices to make it happen. Including but not limited to; planning menues; shopping; packing and loading the car; setting up camp; cooking; building fires; making hot chocolate; taking the girl's on little adventures; taking down camp; and loading the car when we are done. It is kind of a vacation for me and that makes me happy.

P.S. MJ didn't have a single accident on the whole trip. SUCCESS!









No comments: