Sunday, May 13, 2012

HAPPY MOTHER's DAY

Today was a beautiful day. I am so grateful to be a mother.
I am glad these two little girls chose to be mine and somehow trusted that I would teach them and help them navigate this mortal journey, especially in a time when the world tries to blur right and wrong.
I love them both so much.
There is nothing I would rather do with my time than be with my girls.
They are my everything. 

There is nothing like watching your infant go from your arms to 1st grade to make you realize every moment is fleeting and each is so precious.
I have learned in six, almost seven years, of motherhood that the most boring mundane tasks of mothering can be fun if your kids are doing it with you..... like laundry. Teaching Sierra and Madison how to fold a shirt. To say, "Okay, make it give itself a big hug. Then fold the arms of the shirt to the middle and then in half and then in half again." Then listening to Madison say, "Make it give itself a big hug!" It makes my day every time.  
Having Sierra in the kitchen with me chopping vegetables as I cook makes making dinner fun.
These tasks take longer but are more fun to do with my children.
These girls make me laugh every day.

Last night after a long day Sierra turned off the movie she was glued to, so she could take a walk with me. It was around 8:30pm.
She was enjoying her movie but walking with me was more important to her.
She skipped, raced, and jumped with me.
We laughed together until the sunset.
She held my hand on the way home and told me this story.
"Mom, I had the craziest dream the other night. My teacher Mrs. B said, "Sierra I need you to run some errands for me. She sent me to the computer lab. I had an arm full of stuff I had to get for her. When I walked into the computer lab. There stood my best friend Amanda. She was all dressed up in laboratory clothes. She said, "Come here." Then she pushed me into a machine. It was so quick I didn't even know what was happening. The machine took off the kids' clothes in my class and then put on just plain, white, underwear. There I was just in my white underwear. Then I grabbed my clothes quick and took off running. The other kids tried to do the same thing but the machine started ripping up their clothes. I was the only one that got my clothes. I ran to this farmer's house down the road and put my clothes on there. Then I woke up. I can't believe my best friend would invent a machine like that."
"She didn't Sierra it was a dream."
"Yeah, it was just a dream! Amanda would never do that in real life!"

And so my prayer today is for mothers who are mothers but are overwhelmed with the task, that they will take the time to enjoy every moment, and not feel guilty about things that don't matter. I hope they will sit on the floor and fold laundry with their little ones or make dinner with them even if it takes longer and is a little bit messier in the end.

But my greatest prayer is for those who want to be mother's but aren't. Those whose hearts ache to hold a little one of their own but hold my children instead. Those who read about moments with my childern but unselfishly wish for moments of their own. Today, that is where my heart is and where my prayers are that they too will have your own little miracles to hold and to walk with hand in hand, when they are grown, on clear summer nights. I love my Father-in-Heaven and know he is a God of miracles. Tonight, I pray for miracles for you.

No comments: