Saturday, September 17, 2016

LESLIE'S BAPTISM

I can't even begin to express in words how happy this makes my whole being. Leslie calls herself my first converted friend. I have always had friends outside the church I love people. I love people that have walked a different path in life than me. I learn so much from them. I feel blessed that Leslie let me become apart of her life.

Our girls started Kindergarten together two years ago. Kaylie was a little shy about starting Kindergarten and Madison was biting at the bit to go. She had watched Sierra go to school for years and she was so excited it was her turn. I think I told her several times that week she didn't have to go. I could just keep her home for another year, but she was insistent. Flash back here. When I saw Leslie coaching Kaylie and saw how scared they both were. I suggested Madison walk her into class. Madison took her by the hand and they went to Kindergarten together.

A few weeks later I invited them to hang out with us at the park. Flash back here. We invited Kaylie to Madison's birthday party. Flash back here. And so a friendship was born. When Ashton was born in January Leslie drove over to my house and picked Madison up for school every day, so I wouldn't have to. It was such a blessing not to have to make three trips into the school every day with two little boys.

One day, this past February, I went over to Leslie's and she had a white bible on her desk and I picked it up. She said, "Yeah, my mom and sister sent that to me. My sister even put all these beautiful colorful tabs in it. You know I really want to know truth but I don't know where to find it." This scripture came to mind, "Doctrine and Covenant 123:12 ...who are only kept from the truth because they know not were to find it." Nate always told me to just be friends with people outside my faith and if they were ready to hear the gospel they would ask. I never believed him. He was right. I never even told Leslie I was Mormon. We were just friends. She asked, even if she didn't fully realize she had. 

We set up a time for her to meet with the missionaries. She meet with them for about six months. One day she told them, "I just can't do this Mormon thing, you have too many rules." A few days later I was in the middle of cleaning the kitchen and felt prompted to go to her home. Whenever I would go to Leslie's home there was always the television on and ipads and phones going like crazy. There was so much noise it was hard to just talk, but this evening it was silent. I said, "Leslie, what is going on?" She said, "Your church just has too many rules. I don't think God loves me less because I drink coffee or whatever." I agreed with her. I don't think Heavenly Father loved her less. I said, "Leslie, this isn't about the rules it is about whether or not it is true. If it is true, then the rules don't matter." She agreed. The next day she had a discussion on the Plan of Salvation. She wept all the way through it and she received a strong witness that the gospel of Jesus Christ was restored to the earth through the prophet Joseph Smith and that this is His Church. 

I love that Leslie has become a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I love more that Heavenly Father entrusted me to her care. She is such a beautiful example of Faith to all she meets. She loves bearing her testimony. She has so much goodness in her. As long as I have known her, she has been the best person I have ever known at expressing gratitude and making people feel loved. 

She asked Nate to baptize her. It was such a beautiful moment when he took her by the hands in the font. After he brought her out of the water, she stood there and wept and it made Nate weep. He gave her a hug and they stood there soaking wet weeping together. It was one the most glorious moments I have ever experienced in this life. 

I often say, if I could take a young women into my honeymoon suite and they could feel what it felt like. If they could know what it is to be with the man you love, sealed together in the temple, both of you clean and virtuous. If they could feel that moment they would pay any price to get there.

I would also say, If you could feel this moment the moment your best-est friend is baptized. You would become friends with every person who was put in your path. You would love them and help them along lives journey. You would show them what it is to live the gospel by your example. You would huger more for the scriptures and the words of living prophets so you could help them through ever hard thing they would face to get here. If  you could feel this moment you would pay any price to get here. You would be a member missionary.

Oh how I love you Leslie.  
Top: Simon Weber, Leslie Weber, Stephanie Smith, Con Smith; Bottom: Addison Weber, Kaylie Weber, Jack Smith


Top: Elder Perry, Elder Brady, Elder Padilla; Bottom:Sister Uhri, Simon Weber, Leslie Weber, Sister Gannon

Top: Elder Perry, Elder Brady, Elder Padilla; Bottom: Sister Uhri, Leslie, Sister Gannon

No comments: