Friday, February 3, 2012

REFASHION, SCRUB TOP TO SKIRT

Sierra has come home upset every Friday. Friday is spirit day at the school. You have to wear the spirit colors to school on Friday's or you aren't counted in the spirit count. I find the whole thing ridiculous. I guess growing up in a family that didn't have money to throw at spirit shirts makes me disenchanted with them now, even though my circumstances aren't the same as my parents. (In plain English. I can afford the shirt but Sierra has plenty of shirts and it is a matter of principle for me.)

Also, last year I had a crying Kindergartner because her Mom wouldn't participate in Popcorn Friday. (Again, I can afford it. It is a matter of principle.)This year I just said forget it and paid for the popcorn. She hasn't eaten one piece of popcorn this year. She gets the bag and hands it to her sister. I know all these things support PTA but the fact that the PTA designs programs that make people who can't afford to participate feel less in some way and not included is ridiculous to me. There are better ways to raise funds for the school that don't include making people feel excluded. (Enough venting.)

Anyway, that is how this project came about. She will be sporting the spirit colors to school from now on, in a refashioned scrub top made out of the royal blue spirit color. I got the scrub top from Sister Kay, she is a nurse. It was free. Add a little ingenuity and walla. A spirit ensemble anyone with a little imagination a sewing machine, scissors and this pattern can create in a spare hour. (She was super excited about the skirt and can't wait for Friday. The face in the picture is just Sierra's go to face when being photographed.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is a beautiful skirt. So sweet.