Friday, September 14, 2012

HAPPY DAYS

Sierra had the day off of school and we had to do something fun.
 Another favorite thing to do when our funds are low is to go to the Fruita Thrift Store.
We take a few quarters and find some treasures.
Madison and Sierra found a Zhu Zhu Pet game.
All of the pieces were there and it was a quarter, so we bought it.
We brought it home. It is a cross between Chutes and Ladders and Candy Land.
They wanted to play it over and over again on a blanket in the backyard.
We played until the mosquito's started to bite and then we moved our fun inside on the kitchen table.

Another note about bread that maybe a bit boring..... 
...but I feel so blessed I have to share.
I haven't been able to make whole wheat bread since moving to Fruita.
I have had a few times where it has turned out and I get really excited and then I try to make it again and something goes wrong.
I have never been able to make the same batch of bread twice.
Typically, it is flat on the top and dense.
It is pig food.
Then I have to wait a whole other month to get up the courage to try again.
Honestly, I have been so destroyed inside over the fact that something I use to consider a talent was just taken from me.
 
We had a lesson on Food Storage a few Sunday's ago.
Two years ago Nate and I talked about building a years supply.
The church recommends 25 pounds of grain and 5 pounds of beans per person per month.
We felt that was doable.
We bought a lot of wheat and a lot of rice and a lot of beans.
My wheat has just sat there for two years and has hardly been touched.
Anyway back to the lesson that was given.
The person giving the lesson gave a really complicated year supply plan.
I raised my hand and said, "The church had given us a really simple plan. It is simply 25 pounds of grain and 5 pounds of beans per person per month. You may not be giddy about what's for dinner and the food won't be all that yummy, but you will live. You can add all the other fancy things as you get the money. I stored wheat or rice." (Although the church says any grain, even corn.)"
The lady looked me in the eyes kind of fierce and said, "But do you know how to use your wheat."
She sounded like a Baptist Preacher crying down from the pulpit.
I felt small.
I was sad because all of my bad bread days rushed in on me.
I had to concede that..... I didn't anymore
.
Funny enough my sister and I have had the same problem.
We both have had this bread funk at the same time.
Anyway, she called me really excited because she had found this recipe on line.
She said it had cured her whole wheat bread ills.
I was really skeptical.
It was the same recipe we had been using, but the process was a little bit different.
I tried it.
It worked.
I tried it again today.
It worked again.
Can you see the smile on my face!
I can't tell you how happy I am.
No words can describe it.
When you have struggled and struggled and struggled to do something you know deep inside you can do but just can't and then two years later this miracle happens there are no words to describe the joy.
Thank you sister, Michelle.
Thank you Mel's Kitchen Cafe for posting such a detailed step-by-step process, that anyone can follow, for making wheat bread .
Thank you Heavenly-Father for answering my simple, but ridiculously not simple and important to me, prayer.
I am grateful to turn the bad bread chapter of my life.
Sigh....
One happy girl tonight!

No comments: