Friday, May 31, 2013

THE FARM and HARDWORK

We woke up early and put on our farm clothes. The clothes in the bottom of the drawers that you never let your children wear in public. We headed over to Kay's Farm. It is the first time I have taken the girls to work on the farm since James was born. Oh, we have come to visit and soak up a beautiful day, but not to work. Today, I told the girls they were going to give me twenty minutes of hard work and the rest of the time they could play. I shoveled weeds. Sierra raked them into a pile. Madison scooped them up between her tiny fingers and put them into the wagon. I told my sweet girls, "Heavenly Father gave us hard work because it strengthens our bodies and souls. It is Satan that tells us that hard work is bad. He will try to tell you that lie your whole life, but hard work is the best thing you can do with your time." They whined and bargained to get out of it. I told them if they wouldn't whine or bargain. I wouldn't make them do another row of weeds. After that, I didn't hear a lot of whining.
 
The best part about working on the farm today for MJ was that she found three ginormous radishes. She giggled so much. She was so excited. The best part for CC was going to be feeding all of her delicious weeds to the five fat, squealing, baby pigs. She loves feeding them. She loves all creatures, especially little ones. As CC was headed over to reap her reward for all her hard work, Brother Bob pulled in on his bike. He told her to follow him because, "They was going to plant some corn." I tried to tell Brother Bob that she was first going to feed the pigs and then she would be over. He didn't hear me. He is in his 80's. He said to Sierra, "Well, come on now." She didn't even hesitate, she turned the wagon over to MJ and followed him to the corn field and started planting. I was proud of her.
 
We found MJ's flip flops that she left at the farm on Memorial Day. She was so excited. She went to put them on and I got caught in a conversation with Brother Bob. The next thing I knew she was crying and clinging to her my legs. I asked her what was wrong. Treasure, CC's chicken she raised, which didn't end up being a chicken but an ornery rooster, was pecking her. Brother Bob picked her up in her arms and chased that rooster from the yard. CC helped. Treasure ran from them for a bit and then turned and squawked and pounced toward CC. She backed away scared. Brother Bob said, "Don't back away from him girl, get him." CC lunged forward and the rooster turned tail and ran.
 
While Brother Bob and Sierra were planting corn. I held James and listened to the sounds of the birds in the trees. Brother Bob said, "Grab a bucket and pull weeds." I picked up the bucket and bent and pulled with James over my shoulder until he fell asleep. I thought of all the women through the ages that must have done the same thing, gardened with a child on their shoulder. He fell asleep and I tucked him into this car seat and placed him under a shade tree. He looked so peaceful.
 










No comments: