Tuesday, May 11, 2010

NOTHING IS MORE HOME TO ME THAN....

Nothing is more home to me than creamed-tuna-on-toast. This was a meal that frequented our dinner table when I was child. A slice of fresh bread, toasted and covered in a white sauce with peas and a can of tuna fish mixed in. I have craved this several times in Pittsburgh, but have been unable to convince my better half of its virtues. He can't imagine how it could be good. Today, I was in heaven when my father volunteered to make it for me for dinner tonight. He even made a special trip to the store to pick up some peas because we were out. (I know I have the best father on earth.) I think I held each bit in my mouth for just a second longer, than most food that graces my pallet, so I could absorb all of its goodness. I asked my Dad where we got the recipe. He said that this meal was a staple in his home growing up. I don't know why but I always thought it was from my mother's side of the family.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Funny, it was a staple for us too. Sometimes with veggies, sometimes without. Its funny what things bring out the strongest memories of home.

Brianna and Byron Putnam said...

mmm, I remember eating this too.... but I don't think we had peas in ours :)

Nicki Dunn said...

That's a staple Craven item, huh? I've never had it! Or even heard of it... Glad you and the girls are having such a good visit in UT. Wish I was there too! Love you.

Joy said...

Sounds good. Miss you!

rachwheel said...

WE also had this a bunch growing up. minus the tuna. So apparently, my Mother knew about it. I don't think she learned it from Uncle Frank. It probably came from both sides, I'm guessing.