Thursday, June 17, 2010

CATCHIN' FIREFLIES IN THE DARK

CC had an eventful day. She went and played with her favorite person, Chase. She jumped fully clothed into his kiddie pool. She swam full clothed for at least two hours. Her Dad picked her up to help at a church service project. They built a fence for a horse coral. (The coral is in the city and allows underpriviledge kids to ride horses in the the local parks, which aren't like Western parks. They are actually acres and acres of land.) When I asked her what she did while her Dad was building a fence she said, "I collected worms. And. Oh! I saw this beautiful white horse that was like a dream come true. I want one of those horses someday. Can I please have one? Please." She came home filthy. I mean filthy, stringy wet hair turned to dirt dreadlocks. What could I do with her in that condition but take her out to catch fireflies?
Yes, that is a firefly by her hand. What a perfect picture. Yes, that is my lens cap in the picture. She is using to cover the top of her bottle containing her fireflies. Fireflies are, to me, the most magical creatures on earth. I love watching them light up and skitter around. Another thing I am going to miss... fireflies.

1 comment:

Caroline Craven said...

Better get your fill of fireflies because I don't think they have them in Colorado. Sounds like Sierra had a great, eventful day.