Monday, September 16, 2013

TWO QUILTS IN THREE DAYS

 

 
 
My sweet friend Amanda is adopting a baby boy in October. He is due October 17th. I told her good men are born on that day. It is my husbands birthday. (Although, those babies pretty much decide when they want to come.) I wanted to make her a quilt that represented her. The thing that came to mind was how amazing she is at gardening. It is awe inspiring. She doesn't have that big of a yard but she produces a lot of food. There are no weeds. You have to see it to fully appreciate it. It is amazing. I thought I would make her a garden quilt. I thought I could incorporate a lot of primary colors into it. I was trying to find some inspiration for the quilt but couldn't find any.
 
Finally, last Tuesday I went to the fabric store with my friend Barbara. While I was picking out fabric, Barbara mentioned when her daughter placed a baby for adoption someone made the baby and her daughter matching quilts. She thought it would be a nice gesture to do the same. I said, "Alright." Gulp. I procrastinated and now I had two quilts to make. I knew I still had to figure out what I was going to make and how and create the pattern and create the quilt and do it all by Saturday at 7:30. Miracles happen. They were both finished by noon. My home had exploded like a volcano. I had very little sleep. My children entertained themselves. I made it, some how I made it. Barbara did come and help me for most of the day on Friday. Amanda picked the quote for this quilt, "Plant smiles, grow laughter, harvest love." The quote on the last quilt I did was, "She fills our world with love."
 
I used the quote on both quilts for the stems. I didn't want to do a vegetable garden for the birth mother's quilt. I thought I would do a flower garden. I researched flowers and their meaning. The tulip stood out. I wanted the quilt to represent love, sacrifice, hope. Tulips emerge in spring near Easter and represent all three of those things. I had to do a little tulip garden. The watering can was suppose to symbolize blessings being poured out for her sacrifice. If I could have redone the quilt I would have embroidered "Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of heaven!" I truly believe that although this will be the hardest thing she will ever do, her son and her will be blessed by her sacrifice.
 
I wish I could have gotten more pictures of the baby shower but it was too dark before I realized I hadn't taken any. I got one picture of Amanda. She is the sweetest person and will be an amazing mother.
 

 








No comments: