Monday, February 17, 2014

EVERSON NOVEMBER 20, 1918

 It was a beautiful day today.
The sun was out.
Sierra begged me to go for a walk around the graveyard.
 
My friend once mentioned her kids loved to do gravestone rubbings.
Armed with a crayon and paper, we went to the graveyard and made a few rubbings.
They were less interested in making rubbings than they were about learning about every person buried.
They asked me to tell them how old every person we passed was when they died and read any quotes written on their headstone.
 
The last two picture are of a small gravesite that always makes me stop.
I think of the mother who lost so many of her babies within the span of four days.
My friend Kay says that most likely they died from the Influenza Pandemic of 1918, although I have no idea how they died.
Dorothy 11
Ruth 8
 Gailen 3
 Preston 1
 
My babies are exactly the same year span apart.
I have two girls and one boy.
When Sierra is 11
Madison will be 8
James will be 3.
Maybe we will have another baby.
 
I was just so grateful to be in the sun with my beautiful babies.
I can't imagine going home after burying my babies to the silence of an empty home.
I wonder who their mother was.
I wonder how she went on.
I am glad she is with her babies now.
 
Nothing like a walk in the light of the day to help you see how truly blessed you are.
 
 


 
 



No comments: