Thursday, February 13, 2014

VALENTINES

I love conversations with my fourth grader.
We got to chat as we made her Valentines.
She has neglected doing her homework a few times since we got back from Christmas break.
I am usually on her case, but I am done.
Whether it is the long winter or being tired of having the only exchange between my daughter and I, be arguing over homework... I am not sure. I just don't care anymore.
 
When she forgets to do her work, her teacher makes her sit on the wall during recess.
For a child who loves moving and being outside, being made to sit still, is the worst punishment imaginable!
I was frustrated at first.
I had a momma bear moment with her teacher.
I realize she is learning self discipline.
It is painful to watch.
 
She told me over making her Valentines, how much she loathes sitting on the wall.
I asked her if any other kids sit on the wall.
She said, "Yes, some kids sit on the wall every day."
I said, "Like who."
She named a few kids and then a cute girl that I love that goes to church with us.
I visit taught her mother.
(Visiting Teachers: Every Mormon woman is assigned someone to visit and teach every month and some is assigned to visit and teach every Mormon woman. It is how we care for each other.)
Both her parents work long hours.
They live in a three bedroom trailer, in a trailer park.
They have six beautiful children.
I almost cried as I thought of this poor sweet girl on the wall every recess.
Then I thought, It is okay that Sierra has to sit on the wall because then our sweet girl from church doesn't have to be alone on the wall.
Then the mother bear melted out of me.
 
She told me about all the kids in her class
She talked about a boy who all the kids call the dumbest kid in the class.
She said, "Mom, I don't know why anyone would say that. He is really smart. He knows all there is to know about MIND CRAFT and I love that game."
I had to suppress a giggle.
I thought she was so sweet.
 
She told me about a boy in her class that no one likes.
He always plays by himself.
She said, "I am going to give him an extra piece of candy in his card."
Then she said, "Yep, buddy extra piece of candy for you because you deserve it."
 
I loved all of her stories and her sweet gentle ways.
She is the best oldest daughter anyone could ever ask for.
 
 


No comments: