Tuesday, August 31, 2010

KINDERGARTEN ADVENTURES

Well, problems got worse at Sierra's school. We chose a charter school because we felt like we wanted her to get a good education in a safe environment and in a school with strong values. However, she and her teacher butted heads from day one. She wasn't thriving. She was constantly being sat at the kidney table. She was miserable. She was ripping her hair out by the handfuls and then punished for doing so, by being sat at the kidney table. (Which isn't something she has ever done before.) I felt disconnected from her like she wasn't my little girl anymore. She stopped pretending and was constantly arguing with her sister and refused to do any of her homework. I didn't know how to reach her.

After school we went for a bike ride over to the park and saw a beautiful hot-air balloon and played on the swings. Then as the evening came to an end we talked and she said, "Mom, I don't want to go back to that school." I asked why. She said, "Mom, I am scared to death of that kidney table. I think if I sit too long there I will get a stone and the docotor will come and take me to the hospital." Funny, but not. The next morning on a whim I decided to send to her the public school. She has three other friends that attend our church that go there. We all walked over together. She was a little scared but she went. When I came to pick her up she ran into my arms and said, "Mom, I want to go to this school for the whole rest of my life! We got to get out of our chairs, and we got to have fun!" She came home and played a game of pretend under the table with her sister until dark. It is good to have her back.

No comments: