Sunday, August 8, 2010

ONLY IN THE COUNTRY

At church today I asked the ladies about where I could go to pick up produce. They were giving all sorts of suggestions of wonderful home grown fruit stands near by. I am thinking of attempting to bottle peaches like my mother did for me. I love home bottled peaches they don't have that thick sweet syrup like the peaches at the store and are so yummy with fresh whole wheat bread. Sigh. The tastes of home. Well, one of the ladies sitting close grabbed me after church and said her garden had been overproducing and to just let her know what I needed and she would bring over whatever. I said, "I would love anything." This is what was delivered to me this afternoon. Aren't they beautiful, and what is even better they taste amazing. I need a friend like her to teach me how to grow beautiful vegtables and hopefully I can bless her life too.
So, that led to fresh sliced cucumbers dipped in ranch along side our chicken pot pie for dinner. It was yummy but a little rich for my taste. I will simplify the ingredients and post the recipe on my finer things blog. I have two recipes so look for them.
While I was cooking I got to play peek-a-boo with my daughter in the backyard. Oh, to have a backyard where I can watch my children play as I cook. I could never have dreamed of such a sweet miracle. She can be where she wants to be and I can be where I need to be. I don't think you will ever hear the words from anyone of us especially my sweet CC, "I miss living on the 19th floor." It is good to be on solid ground again. I am blissfully content to be in the country or at least closer than I have been in a long time. I am happy.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

That produce looks delicious, and the pot pie looks very yummy too! I am so happy you have a place for you and your kids that you can enjoy. My favorite part of moving to our house was getting our backyard, it is so nice to know they can play and you can get something done too.

Caroline Craven said...

Those veggies look amazing. Mine don't look like that, yet! We have the corn, but it is tiny. I did pick a cucumber the other day and it was tasty and of course, we have zucchini coming out our ears. We love it all.