Sunday, March 23, 2014

BARBARA's VIETNAMESE GINGER SOUP....CURE FOR THE STOMACH BUG

I now know what cruel and unusual punishment is. It is when volcanos are going off in both orifices of your body and the same is happening to two of your children. Your stomach is in turmoil. You have to clean up all the eruptions from your children. At the same time, your baby wants to be held feed and have his diaper changed. All of which send you running back to the bathroom. Yesterday, I was in the depths of one of these moments, and I remembered the cure. I made myself a batch of this soup and I was better almost instantly.

What you will need......
  • A breast of chicken
  • Chicken Bouillon
  • Ginger
  • Green Onions
  • Jasmine Rice, it isn't an option it is must. I have tried other rice and the texture isn't the same.
  • Salt
  • Pepper
Ginger is generally found in the produce section of the grocery store. It looks like the above picture. Don't use ginger powder it won't be the same. Real ginger is the key.

Recipe-
1 Breast of Chicken
10 Cups of Water, plus another 2 Cups of Water at the end.
1 Cup of Rice
1 Tbsp of Chicken Flavoring
1 Whole piece of Ginger
1 Bunch of Green Onions
Salt and Pepper to taste

Place the breast of chicken in a pot with ten cups of water and one cup of rice. Along with one tablespoon of chicken flavoring and one whole peeled piece of ginger. (Peel the ginger like you would a potato.) Boil those babies together for about thirty minutes. You want a steady boil. My oven unit was at a seven. (You don't want a crazy insane, on high, boil. The rice will stick to the bottom of the pot and you will have a nasty burnt foul tasting concoction that even the dog won't eat.) Stir the boiling mixture every five minutes or so. The rice will burst and fill the pot. (This is one of those meals you will want to keep on the shelf in times of famine, one cup of rice will feed your whole family.)

 
When your pot has boiled for about 26 minutes remove your breast of chicken and chop it up along with your green onions. Salt and pepper the chicken. Then add it back into the pot along with the green onions. Continue boiling the mixture for another two minutes. Trust me, you don't want to chomp down on a hard strong onion bit when your stomach is upset. You want those suckers cooked down a  bit.
 
A lot of your liquid will have evaporated by this point. Add in another two cups of water.
 
Remove the ginger, and eat yourself better.
 
I remember when Barbara brought me over this soup the last time I had an attack on my digestive track. I thought, I really don't want to eat anything. I took a bite anyway. Then another bite. Every bite made my body feel a little better. Two bowls later..... yes it is that good..... I felt  better.
 

No comments: