Sunday, March 2, 2014

FASTING

I was so happy that today was Fast Sunday.
I am ashamed that it took me twenty-three years before I really started to understand and appreciate the power of fasting.
I still think I am barely touching the surface of this amazing gift.
I read this talk this morning and I testify that the principles found in Elder Bowen's words are true.
I love these beautiful words of Isaiah about fasting.
 “Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the Lord shall be thy rereward. Then shalt thou call, and the Lord shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I am. . . . If thou draw out thy soul to the hungry, and satisfy the afflicted soul; then shall thy light rise in obscurity, and thy darkness be as the noonday: and the Lord shall guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in drought, and make fat thy bones: and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not” (Isaiah 58:8-11).
 
I find being human so discouraging sometimes, don't you?
How do I become more like Jesus? I want to, but I mess up so often.
 
I know the answer for me at least, can be found in fasting.
My dad has taught me a lot about fasting. By example, he taught me to consider not just fasting on Fast Sunday's but when I felt a need to draw upon the powers of heaven.
The spirit has taught me to use the pain of hunger to remind me to pray
and cry out to my Father-in-Heaven.
These two simple ideas have blessed my life in countless ways.
 
James has been a bit of a pain at church lately.
The Relief Society President brings a little bowl of candy to church every Sunday.
James knows there is candy in that bowl.
He is unrelenting in his pursuit of her candy to the point of distraction.
So, I have been taking him to nursery.
Thankfully, the nursery leaders have let me as long as I stay with him.
He loves it!
I love how happy he is there.
I love the picture I took of him chasing bubbles.
 
Sierra chose to Fast today.
I asked her what she was fasting for she said,
"That all the people who can't afford homes can have one."
I am ashamed to admit my first thought was, "Okay, but that is a bit generic."
Then as I left church, her words came back to me and I felt the spirit of her sweet plea.
I was humbled by her.
I feel so blessed to be her mother.

No comments: