Sunday, March 30, 2014

RELAXING SUNDAY MORNING. A FEW THOUGHTS ON DEPRESSION AND OTHER MENTAL ILLNESSES.

Aren't these two precious?
They wanted some rice crispy treats for breakfast. Why not?
They have been laying and giggling on the ottoman together all morning.
 
I was asked to give a lesson on this talk, for Relief Society last Sunday.
(Relief Society: The woman's organization of our church. I love belonging to this worldwide organization; whose name bears our desire, to follow Christ in reliving all suffering.)
I didn't make it because I was to busy fighting a war waged on my intestinal tract.
I love the opportunity I have to teach Relief Society.
It gives me an amazing opportunity to take the time to learn.
 
I have, so far, not suffered from the debilitating affects of mental illness.
I have many of whom I love deeply that have.
My heart yearned to bring them some comfort last Sunday.
 I love Elder Holland's words.
 
In speaking of mental illness he said,
But today I am speaking of something more serious, of an affliction so severe that it significantly restricts a person’s ability to function fully, a crater in the mind so deep that no one can responsibly suggest it would surely go away if those victims would just square their shoulders and think more positively—though I am a vigorous advocate of square shoulders and positive thinking!
 
I love these words also,
Trust in God. Hold on in His love. Know that one day the dawn will break brightly and all shadows of mortality will flee. Though we may feel we are “like a broken vessel,” as the Psalmist says, 10 we must remember, that vessel is in the hands of the divine potter. Broken minds can be healed just the way broken bones and broken hearts are healed. While God is at work making those repairs, the rest of us can help by being merciful, nonjudgmental, and kind.
 
But these words stayed with me the most...
In any case we have all taken courage from those who, in the words of the Prophet Joseph, “search[ed] … and contemplate[d] the darkest abyss” 3 and persevered through it—not the least of whom were Abraham Lincoln, Winston Churchill, and Elder George Albert Smith, the latter being one of the most gentle and Christlike men of our dispensation, who battled recurring depression for some years before later becoming the universally beloved eighth prophet and President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
 
I didn't know that about George Albert Smith, did you?
I started to research.
It lead me to this lecture given at BYU.


I learned so much about him from Dr. Mary Jane Woodger and his struggles. I thought 40 minutes that is a long time. It went by so fast. I know that many would be blessed to know these words. I embedded the lecture and it is worth a listen. If you are struggling in anyway, know that a man of God did too and maybe his trials were given to him just to give you hope and all of us who struggle in so many ways, mental illness or other wise.
 
Be at peace and know that Heavenly Father loves us all.

No comments: