Friday, March 13, 2015

MEET the FAMILY, ASHTON MAX

Ashton smiling at Leo and Aunt Michelle.
 I drove to Utah for the first time with all four of my children. I was a little nervous. It took me a good week of going back and forth on my decision before I finally committed. Nate had to be in Utah to pick up some dental equipment. He suggested that it would be a good time to take Ashton and bless him with our family. We were suppose to drive together but we needed to take the trailer to bring back the equipment. I was supposed to have the trailer hitch put on the back of my car in June of last year but I never did it. I know it has almost been a year. I tried to schedule it the week we were going to leave but they were unable to get it done. I was so frustrated with myself. I begged Nate to take at least half the kids, but he was on a timeline and he thought it would be too difficult. He finally caved and said, "alright I will take the girls," but they didn't want to go with him for some strange reason. He finally threw up his arms and left. Later, I found out that they didn't realize we were going to the same place. Secretly, I felt like the girls could help out with the boys and didn't know what would be better them going with their dad or me.

I always try to get our house clean and the laundry done before I leave for Utah. This time it felt like I was moving in slow motion. Truthfully, I always feel like that but this time it was worse. I had to get gas and get breakfast and I didn't want to mess up the kitchen, so I thought we would stop of at McDonalds for breakfast. I nursed Ashton before we headed out the door. I felt like I was on a countdown. I had to get to the next town before his timer went off and I had to pull over and feed him. I will admit that as I was driving to the gas station I didn't come to a complete stop at the stop sign. My mind was so occupied and I was so rushed, which isn't typical of me, usually I am a slow cautious drive, but that day I wasn't. I pulled into the gas station to fill up and this man came to the window of my car and started yelling at me. He said, "You blew through two stop signs and you have kids in the car, what are you thinking." I think my definition of blowing through a stop sign and his might be different. Frankly, there was only one stop sign between leaving home and hitting the gas station, but when someone is yelling at you like that and your babies are in the car you defuse the situation rapidly by apologizing. He finally walked away.

We got breakfast and made it to GreenRiver. The kids were good the whole way. We stopped in a grocery store to go potty and pick up a few snacks. I was happy when I saw a playground across the street. We pulled into the parking lot and the little ones played while I fed Ashton. They were happy and got a lot of energy out. I discovered later when I stepped out of the car that the whole playground was covered in goat heads, but the kids didn't seem to mind or notice. I noticed because I was wearing ballet flats and they went straight through my shoe. If you aren't familiar with goat heads, they are a noxious weed that grows large burs all over its vines. They will pop tires on bikes, jogging strollers, or anything with an inflatable wheel. They will stick to your sneakers and fall of in your house and you will step on them with your bare feet and scream like a baby. My kids sneakers were covered in them. When they climbed into the car they littered the back floor of my car. I was stabbed in the fingers several times by them when I was reaching for things off of the floor of my car. Still, a small price to pay for a playground halfway through the trip.

The kids were good the whole rest of the way to my parents house, which is a huge accomplishment because we have no DVD players in the car. They went out a year ago and I haven't had them fixed.

My whole family was so excited to meet Ashton for the first time. He has grown so much in two months. He is such a big baby. He is already in 3-6 month clothes. He was so happy and smiled for all of them. He is such a smiley sweet baby. Leo and Charlotte loved him the most. They were both so cute and possessive of them. We are excited that Miss Charlotte will be having a baby brother or sister of her very own in September.

Charlotte laying beside James. She made a little bed for the two of them on the floor using Ashton's car seat cover.

 James, Charlotte, Audrey, Emma, Tyler, Grace, and Leo in front. From left to right. Watching a movie in Karalee's apartment.

No comments: