Wednesday, September 6, 2017

DINNER TIME

 Today, I spent the day trying to sort out a few things like the septic system and getting the horse taken care of. I also spent a few hours tending to my house. We had the horse's feet attended to. The boy loved watching Daryl take care of Flint's feet. Daryl says it is his full time job now. He apprenticed with a man for a time and then he started his own business. Did you know getting a horse a pedicure is about as much as getting a human a pedicure? This time it was a pedicure and a pair of shoes so it was a little more pricey. 

Did I tell you Sierra got a horse? His name is Flint.  Well, technically the horse is mine. My name is on the papers. I never thought I would own a horse. Quite frankly, I have never had the desire to own a horse. To her, to Sierra, a horse is the beginning and the end to life. A horse is the reason to get up in the morning and the only reason to smile. Horses are her life, so we are becoming horse people. I am glad. It is extremely hard to discipline a child that is bigger than you. Most of my friends use their children's phone as a tool to entice them to behave. I am glad I have a horse. They are way more expensive, but better for her character. Lately, you will hear me say, "If you don't get that mess cleaned up you can't ride your horse for two days." She usually hops to it. 

The first night she got the horse she slept in a tent by the horse. She didn't want him to be alone in a strange place. They have been inseparable ever since. The horse is like a big dog and follows her around the property. He has her heart. We have a bare back saddle coming this week and her instructor is going to teach her how to ride bare back. She is so excited. 

On Labor day she saddled him wrong and the saddle slipped as she was trotting around the coral and her leg got squished between the pole and the horse. When I went out to check on her she was sheet white laying in the hay. I told her I would go get the truck and pick her up. When I got back her friend Elizabeth had helped her hobble to a pile of a ash where she fell face down into it. She was filthy. I guess this reveals what kind of mother I am, but she said, "I just want to climb in your bed and rest." I told her she wasn't climbing in my bed that filthy. Yep, that is what I said. I made her take a bath. She laid in the water and didn't wash herself. She was dripping wet dirt water when she came into my bedroom. I took a towel and sponged her off the best I could and then gave up and told her she could climb into my bed. I called my friend, who ran ambulance for years and is an RN and asked her to come take a look at her leg. She said over the phone it might be broken but when she came over she said she was fine. Phew. I called the doctor for an appointment the next day but she wouldn't keep it because it was Elizabeth's birthday and they were going to go to Angelo's to paint. Sigh. She definitely has a mind of her own.  

Tonight the boys and Madison wanted to make dinner with me. I was just making gravy to go with some leftover mashed potatoes. I didn't mind the company. Sierra refused to eat my dinner and insisted on making her own. I asked her not to but she did it anyway. Some days I have to pick my battles. Instead of gravy and mashed potatoes, she ate a baked potato with canned chili. 

Madison wanted to show off her jump roping skills but that was too much for Sierra so she kept grabbing the rope and yelling at her to stop. Then James got his light saber and swung it around until Sierra broke it. I sighed dreaming of those moments when everyone gets along. We have them in our house and we have them more often than I realize. However, I notice the moments that stretch me as a mother more. 














No comments: