Sunday, August 28, 2016

FRIENDS

I am glad these two have each other although Natalie is two years younger than Sierra but they are like two peas in a pod.

Today while cleaning the kitchen Madison was telling me, "You know mom sometimes I get really mad at school, and I could lose my temper but I don't, I just push it down." 
"Really sweat pea, what happens at school that makes you want to really lose your temper?"
"Like there is a boy there who says, I will marry you and it doesn't matter what you say. When we are getting married, even if you say no, we will still be married." It makes me so mad mom, but I just don't lose my temper.
"Good job. What is this boy's name?"
"I don't remember."
Poor kid.

Today I got to go to church with her Leslie and her sister Stephanie. I was so happy sitting there with them. It was sweet of Nate to tackle the children alone. When I say alone I mean with the help of some sweet sisters who also sacrificed to help him out.
Leslie told me once again she was only going to go to sacrament meeting. I was a little frustrated but this is her journey. I was thinking about how to help make her other meetings a priority. I thought to promise her that if she attended all three hours that she would be blessed.
She would be able to build relationships with members of the ward and make true friends. She would literally be able to call these people her brothers and sisters.
She would gain increased spiritual knowledge.
Even though she would be spending time away from Simon, their marriage would be strengthened and the time they spent together would be happier.
She decided to attend all three hours on her own. I made her those promises anyway. 
She loved every meeting we attended together. Her sister read this quote during Relief Society. April General Conference 2016. Elder Jeffery R. Holland. 
First of all, if in the days ahead you not only see limitations in those around you but also find elements in your own life that don’t yet measure up to the messages you have heard this weekend, please don’t be cast down in spirit and don’t give up. The gospel, the Church, and these wonderful semiannual gatherings are intended to give hope and inspiration. They are not intended to discourage you. Only the adversary, the enemy of us all, would try to convince us that the ideals outlined in general conference are depressing and unrealistic, that people don’t really improve, that no one really progresses. And why does Lucifer give that speech? Because he knows he can’t improve, he can’t progress, that worlds without end he will never have a bright tomorrow. He is a miserable man bound by eternal limitations, and he wants you to be miserable too. Well, don’t fall for that. With the gift of the Atonement of Jesus Christ and the strength of heaven to help us, we can improve, and the great thing about the gospel is we get credit for trying, even if we don’t always succeed. 
She couldn't even get through it. The spirit filled her. I am very much convinced she had her moment too. Leslie drug her feet until we had this meeting with the missionaries where the spirit was so strong she could no longer deny that this truly is the Church of Jesus Christ. Leslie's testimony has become a ripple in a pond. Leslie will affect numberless people with her decision to receive light and continue in that light.

No comments: