Wednesday, October 10, 2012

THE STARBURSTS


(Picture rights are owned by MJ Thomas Photography. Please do not copy.)
 Time has flown by and my little Sierra has gone from Kindergarten to First Grade to Second Grade.
 
Making the decision to put her in public school wasn't easy and was never really in my plans.
Those of you that traveled that road with us know how difficult it was.
We finally, and ultimately, came to the conclusion that she would be fine in public schools.
Fine, being the key word.
 
I thought about home schooling her again this summer but decided to send her back instead.
 
I guess the reason behind the decision and the one thing that drives me to to continue to make it every year is that there is an education you receive by being in the public schools that you can't receive any other way.
 
Some of you may giggle knowing the poor standards of some of our public schools, but I am not talking about an education of book learning but of learning to relate to people from all walks of life. Learning how to stand up for yourself when you are being bullied. Learning how to stand boldly for what is right when everyone around you isn't choosing the right. And learning compassion for people who are a lot different from you.
 
I learned all of those things at a young age in the public school system and that education was more priceless to me than any secular learning.
 
Ultimately, the question in my heart was, will she be strong enough to allow these experiences to strengthen her charicter and not diminish it? 
 
And more importantly, will I be strong enough to teach her how to allow these experiences to work toward her good?
 
I concluded that there was only one way.
We must wake up every morning and before she leaves for school I would arm her with her own sword, of sorts, to fight her battles. I am grateful to say, we have.
Every morning before she leaves for school we read the scriptures and pray and every morning I plead before her and my Father-in-Heaven to keep her safe, help her boldly chose the right, and help her find good friends that do the same.
 
There are times when I know I have made the right decision and it was reconfirmed again two days ago.
 
I know that will come as a surprise to some of you as you listen to this story....
 
(Picture rights are owned by MJ Thomas Photography. Please do not copy.)
(Picture rights are owned by MJ Thomas Photography. Please do not copy.)
Two days ago, Sierra came home from school and she said, "Mom, some girls were sitting next to me at luch and said, "If you eat those starbursts, you are going to get fat. If you get fat, you are not going to be apart of our club." She talked about how desperately she wanted to be apart of their club, because, you see, they have beautiful green and blue jewels and you can't hold them if you are not in their club.
 
We had a beautiful talk about boldly standing for what was right. I told her what those girls were saying wasn't right. We talked about this talk given in General Conerence. How even though the jewels were important to her that they weren't worth the price she would have to pay, the price of sucuming to peer pressure.
 
I am grateful to say that she told those girls, "I don't get starbursts that much and I am going to eat them." I am glad she ate them.
 
I am so glad she told me and that she tells me of the experiences she has at school. It is evidence of her trust in me. I am not a perfect mother and I am grateful that she is able to forgive those imperfections and still love and trust me.
 
I am glad she went back to school the next day with a smile on her face and a renewed courage to boldly do the right thing, no matter what.
 
When I watch my child go through these really hard things that administer to her charicater and make her a more whole human being, I realize we have made the right choice and we will continue to make the right choices concerning her future as long as we stay closer to our Father-in-Heaven.


No comments: