Tuesday, March 23, 2010

HEAVENLY FATHER THANK YOU FOR NATURE

Despite the fact that this blog was never intented to be a political pulpit, the last post will not be the last time you will hear from me. Because I believe as Aristotle said, "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." More to come.
The girls spent the morning infront of PBS. They stayed in their pajamas and reminded me of the old days before sun.
When the sun finally came out, we went on an exploring adventure in nature. Sierra filled her backpack with pens, her nature journal, and a magnifiying glass. These are some of the things we saw.






Here is Sierra contemplating how to draw a mushroom. Not a mushroom from nature, the giant cement mushrooms next to the public pool, in the park.
MJ wondering what is going on.
I really wanted to buy CC a magnifying glass and I spent a half-hour on-line trying to locate the best one, when Dad asked what I was doing. I told him. He said, "Oh, I have one she can use." Why didn't I ask? Of course he did.
I am reading a book a dear friend gave me on Nature Study. They say that children involved in Nature study are the greatest conservationists. Well, I guess it must be true because CC spent an hour collecting as many worms as she could carry. Then, when I suggest we put them in a jar, she said no they will be happier here in the dirt. Then, when I suggested we use them as bait for her fishing pole, she almost started to cry.

1 comment:

Caroline Craven said...

I LOVE that first picture of the girls - so adorable. I loved it when my kids got into nature. It only lasted a couple of years for some of the girls. Now they wouldn't be caught dead holding worms. Not sure I would either!