Sunday, March 21, 2010

HEAVENLY FATHER THANK YOU FOR TWO VERY GOOD LITTLE FRIENDS

We took a little hike through Schenley Park on Saturday. The weather was perfect. MJ giggled and pointed from the stroller as she watched her big sister run ahead. Sierra said she was a cricket, because crickets are fast and we were hippos because hippos are slow. MJ had enough she wanted to join her big sister. The terrain was very uneven and slopped down steep on one side, so her wobble efforts made me nervous. I was relieved when her sister sacrificed her desire to run to stay back and help steady her sister. They walked for at least one-forth of the trail hand-in-hand. (And this was not a short hike.) A number of passer-byers stopped and stated how precious they were.
She even stopped a few times to patiently allow her to watch a bug cross the trail. She is a good example to me.

A few weeks ago I was telling Sierra hurry up because we were going somewhere. She replied, "Mom, why do we always have to hurry up?" Her words gave me pause and I have reflected on them often. Most of the times, throughout her life, that I have told her to hurry up, there has been no reason for it. No reason at all. Why do I always have to hurry up? My goal over the next six months, before she has to go to school, is not to require her to hurry up unless there is a good reason. I will let her walk slow and sit in the dirt and watch a bug for five minutes, if she wants. Before school, little children don't know about the existence of time and I think that is precious. Before the world can run her through with deadlines and expectations, maybe I should just let her be, and maybe by being still myself I will learn a few more things from this angel.

1 comment:

Caroline Craven said...

What lovely thoughts. Those pictures are so sweet, especially that first one. Seems like as moms we are always trying to get to the next chore, errand or whatever so we do hurry our little ones. I love that they take the time to notice everything. It made me stop and notice stuff too.