Sunday, March 13, 2011

HOME in CALIFORNIA


Are there places you go to that you just know you belong?

This is one of those places for me. The minute the car reaches the summit of the high Sierra mountains, I feel like I am coming home.

Nate was teasing me in the car, "You wish that this is where you grew up."

I assured him I am glad I grew up in Utah. However, I do love the high Sierras of California very much. Sadly, I have never had the pleasure of visiting in spring until this trip. It was a million times more beautiful than it is in the summer, fall, and winter, and that is saying a lot because it is beautiful then too.

This sturdy oak tree is so beautifully flocked in bright green moss. It resides in the front of Nate's parents home. Whenever I gaze at it, it seems to tell me stories of a little boy I never knew, who grew up and became the man that I married. The tree isn't the only one that holds secrets of that little boy but every corner of the property and every wall of his boyhood home.

One of my favorite places to go whenever we visit is church. I love to see the looks on the members faces when they see Nate again. They are always thrilled to see him and talk to him. He hardly ever makes it out of the chapel and into Sunday school because several people crowd him and want their chance to talk to him. They were all disappointed the girls weren't with us.

My birthday was the next day, so my California family met up at Mom and Dad's house and we had a little celebration. Mom made a really good dinner and yummy brownies. My little niece and nephew came to celebrate. It was so fun to just be an Aunt.



No comments: