Friday, March 11, 2011

UTAH HERE WE COME

Nate has two forced vacations a year. They shut down the office and make everyone go home. Luckily, (I am sure not by mistake.) one of these weeks falls on spring break, so we loaded up the car and went on a trip. In true Nate fashion, we didn't know where we were going, for how long, or when we were coming back, but that is all part of the fun. First stop, grandma's house... decided five minutes before departures. (Other suggestion... the Grand Canyon, the Green River, Arches, California and the list went on, but at least by the time we pulled away it was settled.)
Did you know we live ten minutes from the Utah border. I always have to tease Nate and say, "I am only a few minutes from home."
This was the view pretty much 60% of our journey. (Not the eagles on the highway sign, but the terrain.)
The Green river, one of Nate's favorite fishing spots. (He doesn't really like to fish the river this far south, he likes to fish the northern parts but this is it none-the-less.)
The Book Cliffs. This mountain range reaches an end as you are suppose to take your one exit.
After the book cliffs the terrain looks like a barren desert again until you get past Price. Then you get to drive through the mountains.Here are the snacky foods we picked up for the trip, cream soda and dorritos.
Funny how different one side of the highway looks compared to the other.
The other side.
Back to the other side again.
And back. In another life I want to be a geologist. I was fascinated.
I don't know what you call these. I do know they capture wind energy to produce power. They are at the mouth of Spanish Fork canyon. CC always squeals, "We are there." When she sees them.
Nate curses Utah every time we drive onto I-15. He told CC, "They have been working on this road since you were born and look at it. It is still a mess."
I grew up under the shadow of these mountains and I think I will always feel like I am coming back to a place I belong when I look at them.

No comments: