Tuesday, February 9, 2010

SLEDING WITH DADDY

Nate took Sierra out sledding. As I watched them from the warmth of our apartment, I thought of the book 'Owl Moon'. A favorite of mine as a child. Sierra would climb the steep grade of this hill in the security of her father's shadow. Then he would send her flying down the hill and watch until she was safe. Then he would slide down. Then when they were both at the bottom, they would start their journey upward again. At one point Sierra was tired and her father pulled her up the hill using his sled. It isn't easy to walk up the hill let alone pull your daughter up behind you, but he made it look effortless. He is a really good father and often takes his daughter on mini-adventures.
Sierra was freezing when she got home. She was covered from head to toe in snow. She begged for a warm bath. As I was removing layers of clothing, large amounts of snow fell out onto the floor. She said, "Mom, my fingers feel so spicy." She thinks the feeling of carbonation on her tongue is the definition of spicy. When you think about it that way it makes sense. The tingling sensation of her fingers thawing felt spicy.

2 comments:

Caroline Craven said...

I love the pictures you are posting. I need a new camera and some very specific instructions. It amazes me how long kids can stand the cold. I guess we either get smarter and we get older or we get wimpier as we get older!?!

Chrystal said...

I was also going comment on how well your photos haved turned out lately! You are getting really good at getting unique shots! I really like the fence one and the one looking down through the trees...looking good girl...I am impressed! Your girls are just so cute...You just have a cute little family.