Thursday, April 1, 2010

I LOVE MY COUNTRY

Well, I love being a mother and I know my greatest battles against what is going on the world is fought in the teaching and loving of my children. Yet, on occassion I want to be the apart of the tea party movement and I want to storm Washington with my own posters. I know right now it is not possible, so in my own way I want to send a message that I believe in freedom. So, I went and bought a flag and I hung it in my living room this week.

I don't believe in placing huge tax burdens on hard working American's to pay for this new entitlement.You know there was a time in American history where when you paid off your home you owned it. Now we are required to pay property taxes, meaning that if we don't meet that obligation the government can take our property back. We now pay for sales taxes, and state and local taxes. Some polititians may say don't worry this bill won't add to the deficit, maybe they are right for now, but if it doesn't add to the deficit then it will come out of your pocketbooks. I asked my brother-in-law who was a financial anyalst for Conoco for a couple of years and is now running for congress, about the the claim that Healthcare reform would be budget neutral. (Meaning it won't add to the deficit.) He had this to say, "Lisa, Medicaid was supposed to be budget neutral. So was Social Security and Medicare. There is not one program the Feds operate in the black. Why start with Health Care? I don't care what their projections are. The Health Care bill is a deficit reduction bill through raising taxes for 10 years while scoring only 6 years of benefits. If they manage to get the populace to swallow the tax increases for the first 10 years so that it is actually reduces the deficit like they promise, the second decade with 10 years of expenses and only 10 years of revenue will be in the red and contribute significantly to the debt. Again, we will be left with another underfunded Government program."

It would be amazing if all American's could have healthcare. It would be my dream as well. However, this healthcare reform bill will come at a cost. A price America can't afford. Without fiscal responsibility we cannot care for others or our own. Already, we are too dependent on other countries, especially China... but that is another post. Also, more to come on immigration.
Despite all this, I love my country and still know it is the greatest place to live on earth. I also know "we the people" are the ones who are resposible for keeping it that way.

1 comment:

Katrina said...

Good job lisa!!! you and michelle and my sisters and own paretns etc. are such great examples to me of how i can still be proactive well tending to one of most amazing callings ever! that of a mother:) thanks for being a good missionary too i love hearing about it!