Sunday, April 4, 2010

STEPHEN MAHYLE


Well, a year ago today a dear friend was taken from us. Since his death I have often heard it referenced that he made the ultimate sacrifice by giving up his life for the community and although sacrifice can't be measured, I often reflect on the sacrifice Shandra, Jennifer and Brooklynn made that day. Watching them over the past year I know that their sacrifice could not have been less than his. As I was standing in the back, listening to his memorial service, on Friday, I was reflecting on all the lives given in sacrifice and all young mother and young children that long for their fathers and husbands. When we honor our dead on memorial day, I have never thought about honoring the living. Those that had to pick up the broken pieces and fit them back together. Those that had to wipe the tears of their children, who longed after their fathers. Life has taken on a new meaning for me since April 4, 2009. I realized that day just how fragile life can be and how much reverence an honor we should give to a gift God has given all of us, the gift to live, to laugh, and to hold each other.

A year and a half ago I moved into this building. I met and very quickly became friends with Shandra. She was easy to talk and absolutely hilarious. We lived on the same floor and she would come over early in the morning and have pancakes with me in our pajamas. Our girls instantly became friends. We spent hours playing at the pool and going to the park. Stephen even babysat the girls one afternoon while we went Christmas shopping. She has been an angel in my life and one of the best people I have ever known.

I have often lamented why we have had such a difficult time finding our place in Pittsburgh. We moved three times in four years. I have felt frustration with every place we have lived. However, as I stood on the lawn, on Friday and listened to Shandra talk of her husband, I was filled with a sense of gratitude that my Father-in-Heaven had guided my life in such away that I was privilege to meet her and become apart of her life.

Then later that night we were celebrating Jennifer's birthday at a park. Sierra was playing follow the leader with Jennifer and Brooklynn and their cousins. She was running around and laughing her head off. Madison was also having so much fun and giggling so hard. Stephen's father calls Sierra Billy and she loves it. As he drove away from the party she said, "Mom, can we invite that man that calls me Billy to my birthday party?" Shandra has allowed me to become apart of her family over the last year and it has blessed my life in so many ways. As I stood in the pavilion in the park, I was again filled with gratitude.

Yesterday was conference, I was glued to the television for all four sessions and was sad when it came to a close. There were a lot of amazing talks given on families and on life and death. I was left with an unbelievable sense of awe and hope. Aren't we blessed to have a Savior, who was willing to come to earth and atone for our sins and to sacrifice his life, so we all could live together again as families. Aren't we so blessed to know this? Sierra said, "Mom, because Jesus came back to life, so can Stephen." I love the simpleness of her testimony. I know it is true too and I am so grateful.

1 comment:

Shandra said...

So sweet, Lisa! Love ya!!!